Apple Cider Doughnutscook time
- 8 slices California Goldminer® Sourdough Non-GMO Square
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, diced
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2–3 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- Powdered sugar
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Sauté apples in butter until tender (approximately 5 minutes). Add cinnamon, apple cider, sugar and applesauce and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Ladle ½ cup of the cooking liquid into a small bowl, returning any apple pieces to the skillet. Whisk cornstarch into bowl until smooth. Return mixture to skillet and bring to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, and then reduce heat and cook until mixture thickens (approximately 5 minutes).
- Spread apple mixture on 4 slices of bread. Top with remaining slices of bread. Use a glass or round cookie cutter to cut a circle from each sandwich. Pinch down edges of bread pocket so no filling escapes.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and milk. Place flour in a separate small bowl. Coat both sides of each doughnut in egg mixture. Dip doughnut in flour, coating both sides, then dip again in egg mixture.
- Place doughnuts in oil and cook for 6 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove and let cool for 2 minutes before sprinkling with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.