Banana Nut Sourdough French Toast Bakecook time
- 1 California Goldminer® Sourdough Boule, cubed
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp. light brown sugar, divided
- 2 tbsp. pure maple syrup
- Pinch of salt
- 3 ripe-firm bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup walnuts
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- Vanilla ice cream (optional, to serve)
- In a skillet set over medium heat, melt butter. Add ¾ cup brown sugar, maple syrup and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is smooth. (If there are lumps in the brown sugar, use a whisk.) Once the mixture is smooth, remove from heat and carefully stir in the bananas and walnuts. Set aside and cool to room temperature while preparing the French toast.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, half and half, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, cinnamon and vanilla. Set aside.
- Arrange half the bread cubes in a 9x13 in baking dish. Spoon half of the banana-brown sugar mixture over the bread. Top with the remaining bread cubes. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Lightly press down to make sure each bread cube is coated. Spoon remaining banana-brown sugar mixture over the top of the bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Remove French toast from the refrigerator. Bake uncovered until golden brown, and set in the center (approximately 40-55 minutes).
- Slice French toast and enjoy hot, topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, if desired.